Friday, December 7, 2012

Getting in touch with our food

It seems as if we have lost something with the way we buy everything at the grocery store.  We get grossed out when we see the deer on the back of the 4 wheeler with blood dripping out of it.  We especially get grossed out when we see the pictures of the chickens in the large chicken farms.

Now granted, I always felt the same way.  I didn't really think about food coming from anywhere else except the grocery store while growing up.  No one in my family hunted so I was unfamiliar with all of that.

However, when I married and my husband (both my ex and current) is an avid deer hunter, I got a real quick lesson in the bloody reality of where food comes from.  At first, I was grossed out, then intrigued.  Yes, I had anatomy but seeing deer innards is a little different from the cold gray formaldehyde of science class.  As long as he is careful not to cut the bowels (smell is AWFUL), it is neat to look at the heart, lungs, brain, and other organs of the deer.

There is also something about seeing it that makes me appreciate the hard working folks who farm our lands.  It is a lot of work to keep animals and grow our food. While technology has brought some good advances (better equipment  and not so good advances (cancer causing hormones and genetic research), farming reminds me of a time when God was first, hard work was crucial to survival, and times were a whole lot simpler.  The pleasure of a good harvest, the satisfaction of enjoying fresh bacon from the first season's butcher, and the honesty of it all is something that we have lost touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment